Brutal Heretic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• red.hexapus
    Participant

If someone wants to try a bit bloodier, faster and action-packed version of the game, here it is:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-heretic

I’m playing through it right now, and enjoying it (expect for Iron Liches, which for some reason are too spongy in this mod)

dr_st
    Participant

You mean, more spongy than they (and basically any Heretic enemy) are in the original?

red.hexapus
    Participant

Yeah, they are more spongy than in the original. I recall seeing a comment from the creator of the mod, than he made then so, because he recommends playing with a sequential mod (all episodes combined together). I still dislike how long it takes to kill them.

dr_st
    Participant

Checking now, in the original game, they had 700HP, which is actually equal to the Doom II Arch-Vile, and less than the 1000HP of the Baron of Hell – the original Doom bullet sponge.

Maybe they felt more spongy to me because of their extremely annoying attacks. 😆

sorceress
    Participant

I feel you have to see these changes in context. Since the standardisation of WASD+mouse controls in the shooter genre in the late 1990s, it became far easier to line up shots, dodge projectiles, and nimbly move around maps.

ie, delivering damage more efficiently, while taking less damage in return.

It arguably made doom/heretic/etc easier to play than intended. Playing on anything less than “ultraviolence” became absurd!

I feel that the Brutal-* mods have made a good effort to rebalance the gameplay for these modern controls. One thing these mods cannot do is add/remove enemies from maps, but they can redesign and modernise each enemy type, as well as the weapons available to the player.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.