DOS Game Club Level Pack!

Home Forums Previous Months 90 – March 2024: Wolfenstein 3D DOS Game Club Level Pack!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hey guys, I’ve just finished making a DOS Game Club themed level pack for Wolfenstein 3D, inspired by patrick_md’s lemmings pack.

It was supposed to come out for March but… you know how these things go!
    At least it’s out before the podcast comes out!

The premise is that every level references one of the past FPS games the club has done, with the last level set in the twisting labyrinth of the “Previous Months” forum. The final showdown is with the creaky old server.

It’s all very much beta. I’ve just replaced most of the graphics and made 8 custom levels. But I haven’t done any sound effects or music, or any title or credit screens.
    If there’s enough interest, I’ll go back and do them later.

Here’s the link for anyone who’s interested in checking it out:
    TigerQuoll’s DGC level pack

Feedback and suggestions welcome!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Hey, I just saw you also mailed us about it a while ago. Sorry we didn’t respond, we somehow had all mails automatically set to read. But that’s fixed now.

I’ve tried it just now and this is pretty cool! I couldn’t get past the level with the Descent robots (is it possible to kill them at all?) so from there on I had to use god mode ^^

Your levels have more variety than the three main episodes, Nocturnal Missions and Spear of Destiny combined. Poor performance from 1992 id!

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

The descent robots are just reskinned ghosts from the secret pacman level, so no you can’t kill them.

The best way to beat this level is just to sprint – if you can remember E1L1 well enough, and can mentally mirror it at the same time!

I removed all the pickups such as health from this level so that it wouldn’t spoil the upside-down effect. I may go back and pare down the number of ghosts in a future version.

That said, I encourage anyone who wants to to cheat. It’s meant to be a fun romp down DGC memory lane, not necessarily a challenge or anything.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I had great fun playing through it all this morning. Fantastic stuff. Better than playing most of the original levels. The Descent level was definitely hard but I made it through with judicious saving eventually.

I’d have been tempted to reskin the player character at the end if that’s possible – put Martijn’s face on him as a final reveal when you escape the castle.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
    I’ve got a few changes I’m implementing at the moment. I might do something with the Player Character, as you say

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

OK, I’ve done a bit of tinkering. The descent level should be a fair bit more… fair now.
    Also the final level has been substantially tweaked.
    I haven’t done anything with the player character yet…
    I’ve incorporated Tijn’s portrait in another place. I’ll see if some additional inspiration comes to me.

The link in the first post is still valid. Just grab it from there!

Dreamkid
    Participant

Planting invincible enemies and removing all health pick-ups made me lol. I guess Tijn is following in the footsteps of Tom Hall (or John Romero I guess if his face isn’t on an enemy) 😀

Tbf, it’s understandable that ID’s designs wouldn’t hold up to more modern ones, especially when the latter have taken inspiration from games that came later than Wolfenstein 3D ;p

I finished only the first three episodes in March, but have been wanting to get back to it — I had fun playing the game again ^_^

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 90 – March 2024: Wolfenstein 3D DOS Game Club Level Pack!