Hello from Pennsylvania, United States

Home Forums User Introductions Hello from Pennsylvania, United States

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• OfManNotMachine
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Found podcast a few days ago while searching for retro gaming podcasts related to PC gaming. I’m 42 years old, my first console was an NES, but my love for gaming truly took off in 1989 when I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas, and playing DOS games. I continued to play PC games thru each console generation, owning a Sega CD, a 3DO, a PS1, Sega Dreamcast, etc…

I really miss the days of DOS gaming and older consoles (especially Sega)
    While from a graphics standpoint, today’s games look absolutely astounding, I feel there is a major loss in creativity, possibly due to games now being developed by studios consisting of hundreds of people vs games developed by smaller development teams.

If games never looked better than they did back in the year 2000, I’d be perfectly fine with that. I love all sorts of genres, Action/Adventure, RPGs, Sports games, anything with a good story! I feel the games we grew up with also took more risks.

My dad was also a huge PC gamer back then, and there were so many DOS games we would play together.

I figured I’d create an account here and hope to chat with fellow like minded retro gamers who enjoyed and miss that golden era as much as I do.

Some of my favorite PC games growing up are

Under A Killing Moon
    Discworld 1 & 2
    Sierra and Lucas Arts games
    Bioforge
    Crusader No Remorse and it’s sequel No Regret
    Heretic
    X-COM UFO Defense
    Little Big Adventure
    Seal Team
    Syndicate
    Ultra Bots

sorceress
    Participant

Welcome to DGC!

I also miss this golden era, but for me it has more to do with the Amiga/Atari ST age.

Although I also have a fondness for the earlier 8-bit home computers, and early 3D FPS stuff on PC (eg, descent, doom, heretic, quake, quake 2), and a few RTS titles on PC from the 90s and early 2000s.

I’ve never been a console person, and I struggle to relate to sega’s offerings. Even less with nintendo. Nor do I feel any real connection with commercial games post 2005, and I’m not sure I’ve even bought any game released after that year, haha.

A lot of your favourite DOS games have been covered in episodes already, so I’m sure you will enjoy browsing the back catalogue, if you haven’t already.

I hope you enjoy your visit here enough to stay around. Making an episode suggestion or two is a good way to strike up some conversation about your gaming favourites 🙂

OfManNotMachine
    Participant

I’ll definitely offer some suggestions for sure!

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hey there! Welcome!
    I totally agree with you about graphics post 2000. By that time limitations for the kinds of 3D models and environments you could create in a game were pretty negligible from a gameplay perspective. The only limits were the creators’ imaginations.

I don’t think there’s any stories today’s devs can tell, with all of their high poly counts, real-world physics and lighting effects, that they could not have told just as well 25 years ago.

I agree that games today look phenomenally good. But honestly, if I’m still paying attention to specular lighting and realistic water effects after 5 minutes of playing, it’s probably not a very absorbing game.

I also like your list of favourite games. A person of good taste!

OfManNotMachine
    Participant

Thank you Tiger!

I just love video games in general. I love the industry, especially the history of the industry. Even more so today because I think the gains of today’s tech, don’t outweigh what’s been lost. Which is just that creative spark. Today’s industry just tries to churn out game after game and it just feels like a soulless machine and that really bugs me.

Thankfully, between retro PC games, and all my retro consoles, I’m set for the rest of my life. I will happily just live in the past! To be able to discuss these classics with fellow gamers who share that passion is just icing on the cake!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums User Introductions Hello from Pennsylvania, United States