My memories of Heretic

Home Forums Current Game: Heretic My memories of Heretic

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• OfManNotMachine
    Participant

I remember I watched my dad play this game so much.
    Loved the setting, loved the graphics.

My best memory of this game, one night watching my dad play it, he had just a tiny bit of health left, and he got up to get a drink, and I thought to myself “Oh hey, I’ll take that enemy out for him!” and totally messed up and got him killed. He hadn’t saved for over an hour!! Needless to say, he wasn’t to happy with me! He still gives me crap about this today!

Looking forward to hearing the podcast discussion on Heretic!

watchful
    Participant

I bounced off it back in the day because of the fantasy setting. Having played it a few years ago with some nephews, it’s fun yet oddly similar to Doom mechanically. Reading Romero’s “DoomGuy” book it was a revelation to find out he forced them to keep weapons and enemies mechanically identical. What a wasted opportunity! My opinion of Romero as a designer dropped significantly.

All that said, at least the game has a story, and its setting is fun. I also played with a tasteful upscale pack that made the art less blocky and enhanced its surreal feeling.

Horkthane
    Participant

I remember I played the shareware episode of Heretic to death. I was absolutely ravenous for more Doom content, but had no money. So it was shareware Doom, shareware Heretic, and a copy of Doom 2 I had a friend down the street install on the family DX2. I’ve probably played Doom more than Heretic though, just because the setting appealed to me more.

It’s funny thinking about it, being a kid, and the only way you could buy Heretic when it came out was mail order? I was also so fascinated about the extra weapons and enemies in the teaser pages when you quit the shareware.

Years later I ended up with a copy of Heretic from the bargain bin. I guess at some point they made a retail version with two extra episodes. Mobygames says that happened in 1996. I might have bought it as late as 1999. I got it out of a nostalgic fondness for the shareware, but I don’t remember ever playing it.

I did finally beat it for the first time when I got into retro hardware a few years ago. Really enjoyed it, but playing it again this month I’m realizing I forgot how many monster closets they spring on you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Current Game: Heretic My memories of Heretic