Some advice for BASS

Home Forums Current game: Beneath a Steel Sky Some advice for BASS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• red.hexapus
    Participant

Won’t be able to play the game during September as I’m going abroad and won’t have access to a computer, so I’ve played it and finished a few days ago.

Here’s some advice I have for the game, I hope you find it useful:

1. Foster walks really slow. I was annoyed by that (due to constant backtracking and such), until I’ve realized you can change his walking speed in the options. I highly recommend to change it at the start of the game to avoid this annoyance.

2. Joey is super important, you cannot finish the game without him, so remember to talk to him very often and at different places. Sometimes a context dialog/option appears when you are at the right location so don’t forget to discuss it with him.

3. Don’t be discouraged if you lose items or someone takes them from you. If the game makes you lose them, you didn’t need them in the first place.

4. Sometimes a change in the world state is triggered when you reach a new location or find some new information. Remember to back-track to earlier areas as something might have changed over there too.

5. Crucial: SAVE OFTEN (and in different slots). While I’ve not encountered any softlocks, there are still some ways to get killed in the game.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

For anyone playing this in DOS, I’ve just realised that you can’t have digital audio and Roland sound at the same time. Bit of an oversight from the developers if you ask me.

ScummVM will fix this of course but for anyone using DOSBox, I found a patch at https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=76429 that allegedly works. That’s not working for me on original hardware so I’m stuck with Adlib music by the looks of it.

dajoho
    Participant

I can confirm the patch works on real hardware, although failed on the original Sound-Blasters I tested.

I had success with the following configuration:

– PCI ESS-Solo1 Soundcard
    – SoftMPU
    – MT-32
    – Copied everything from the CD to C:\SKY\
    – Select Roland MT-32 in the sound options.
    – Started SKYDRV from C:\SKY. It then enables Sound Blaster support in addition to MT-32.

Other bits and pieces: using XCDROM, CTMOUSE, SHSUCDX and EMM386 in the default configuration.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m not trying to get a Roland to work, but I find this game (along with a few others) plays all sounds very quietly. It’s as if it overrides the internal level settings, and puts them all way down.
    I’m using a pretty bog standard Sound Blaster 16 (one of the better models).
    Is this another common problem with this game? Or is it one of my typical weird hardware issues that only I seem to get?

Martli
    Participant

I found the same on my AWE64. When I switched over to my Yamaha YMF719e-s (Soundblaster pro 2) the sound was fine, so maybe something to do with the 16-bit cards??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Current game: Beneath a Steel Sky Some advice for BASS